Reference Bible | Bible Dictionary | Today's Bible Commentary|
What the scriptures say about
WHO IS JESUS CHRIST?
Also see Jesus, Son of God, Son of man, God
|JESUS called Himself the "Son of Man in scriptures [BibleGateway Search] Site search: FreeFind|
WHAT THE "GOSPEL OF JOHN" SAYS ABOUT GOD THE FATHER and JESUS: [BibleGateway Search]* Early scriptural references to "Son of man": Psalm 80:17 * Ezekiel 2 and following, called "Son of man"
* Matthew 8:20 - Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
* Matthew 16:13b - "Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
* Matthew 17:9b - Jesus instructed them, “Don’t tell anyone what you have seen, until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.”
* Matthew 19:26 - Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
* John 12:23-33 - Time for the Son of Man to be glorified. Jesus foretells His death and being glorified.
* John 12:28-30 - Voice from heaven
|Jesus is God|
OBJECTIONS TO JESUS:* John 1:18 - "No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.”
* John 5:18 - "For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.”
Jesus is approved and sealed by God the Father* John 6:27 - "Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”
God the Father sent Jesus to Israel from heaven, to return* John 8:42 - Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me."
* John 13:3 - "Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God;"
* John 16:27 - "No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God."
* John 20:17 - "Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”
Some people hear God, but only Jesus has seen AND hears God the Father
* John 6:45-46 - "It is written in the Prophets:
‘They will all be taught by God.’
Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me. (Jesus)”
No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God;
only he has seen the Father.
Children of God have a family resemblance
* John 8:41-42 - "You are doing the works of your own father.”
“We are not illegitimate children,” they protested.
“The only Father we have is God himself.”
Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me,
for I have come here from God.
I have not come on my own; God sent me."
God the Father, not man, glorifies Jesus (praises, rejoices in, boasts about, exults)
[Exodus 24:16-17 - to the Israelites the glory of the Lord looked like a consuming fire, settled on top of Mount Sinai.]* John 5:44 - How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?
* John 8:54 - Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me.
* John 11:40 - Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?”
|A man claiming to be God is blasphemy [BibleGateway Search]|
Jesus' answers to Blasphemy Objections* Luke 5:20-21 - Jesus forgave sins during a healing. Blasphemy: "who can forgive sins but God alone?"
* John 10:33 - Blasphemy: "because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”
* John 10:35-37 - Blasphemy: "because I said, 'I am God's Son.”
["35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came — and Scripture cannot be set aside —
36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world?
Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?
37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father.]
|A man claiming to be God is blasphemy (the act of disrespecting the one true God publicly)|
Christ, the Son of God
|Jewish high priest asked Jesus: Are you the Christ, the Son of God?|
With His answer, the priests called JESUS a blasphemer (one who disrespects God) [BibleGateway Search]
Matthew 26:63-66 -
26:63 But Jesus held his peace. The high priest answered him,
“I adjure you by the living God, that you tell us whether you are the Christ, the Son of God.”
26:64 Jesus said to him,
“You have said it.
Nevertheless, I tell you, after this you will see the Son of Man
sitting at the right hand of Power,
and coming on the clouds of the sky.”
26:65 Then the high priest tore his clothing, saying,
“He has spoken blasphemy!
Why do we need any more witnesses?
Behold, now you have heard his blasphemy.
26:66 What do you think?”
“He is worthy of death!”
Also see Mark 14:64,
WAS JESUS A SINNER?
John 9:24-25 - A second time they summoned the man who had been blind. “Give glory to God by telling the truth,” they said. “We know this man is a sinner.”
He replied, “Whether he is a sinner or not, I don’t know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!”
One True God: Isa 65:16
God is One: Mark 12:32
The Seed, the mediator; God is one Galatians 3:19-21